Welcome to kelowna
Kelowna is the largest city in the Okanagan Valley. From fine dining, shops, art galleries and sports, to wineries and orchards. Kelowna has it all, it is a true "Four Seasons Playground".
Situated on the eastern shore of Okanagan Lake mid-way between Penticton in the south and Vernon in the north, Kelowna residents and tourists alike find the lake offers wonderful opportunities for boarding, swimming or fishing. The nearby mountains attract hikers, skiers and outdoor enthusiasts of all descriptions. There are three major ski hills within a one hour drive - Big White, Silver Star and Apex.
Kelowna is the main marketing and distribution centre of the Okanagan Valley, with a flourishing tree fruit industry and a growing light industrial sector that competes on a world scale. Kelowna also has a growing high technology sector that includes aerospace development and service.
Kelowna's airport is the 11th busiest in Canada, It's also one of the fastest growing in North America. Passenger activity has more than doubled since 1995 and traffic is handling over 1.3 million passengers per year. Passengers enjoy a spacious, modern 76,000 square foot terminal and Kelowna handles 30 scheduled flights a day, from the turbo-prop Beech 1900 to the Airbus A320. Air Canada, Air Canada Jazz, Central Mountain Air, Horizon Air, Regional 1 and WestJet all operate from Kelowna International Air Port.
facts About kelowna
- Kelowna is home to 105,000 people
- The Central Okanagan Regional District has a population of 147,000
- Kelowna is well known for its hot summer and temperate winters
- The average daytime high during July and August is 27.4 C. The average daytime high during December and January is -0.3 C
- Kelowna receives over 2,000 hours of sunshine annually and 28 cm. (11 inches)of rain
- Total annual precipitation is 366.4 mm
- Okanagan Lake is 110 km long
- Kelowna encompasses 262 square km
- Kelowna is 344 m above sea level
- Kelowna General Hospital is the largest in most comprehensive in the southern interior of B.C with a full treatment cancer clinic
- Kelowna is home to several local theatre groups, a symphony orchestra, a museum and numerous art galleries